Chaiyaphum is located near the center of Thailand, it is about 342 km. from Bangkok and it is easy to reach by road. Clockwise bordered by the provinces of Khon Kaen,
Nakhon Ratchasima, Lopburi and Phetchabun.
Chaiyaphum - The word is derived from two Sanskrit words, Chaiya da Jaya, which means “victory”, phum from the word Bhumi meaning earth; it is obvious that the province's name means "Land of Victory".
The province is divided into two parts by the Phetchabun mountain range; the top highest in the province reaches 1,222 meters. The eastern part of the province belongs to the plateau of Korat. Four national parks are located in the province:
Tat ton, Sai Thong, Phu Laen Kha Pa Hin Ngam.
Tat Ton - the first national park, is in the northwest of the province;
Sai Thong is located in the west of the province;
Phu Kha Laen covers an area of 200 sq. km in northeastern Chaiyaphum
Pa Hin Ngam in the southwest.
The story of Chaiyaphum dates back to the Khmer empire when it was a small town mail on the route and Angkor Wat Prasat Singh in Kanchanaburi province. In the late eighteenth century, an officer of the court Lao Nai Lae, Port about 200 Lao Vientiane cause you fix in this area, which had been abandoned by the Khmer some 500 years earlier. At first, they settled in Baan Nam Khun Nong E Chan, in the province of Nakhon Ratchasima, but then moved here. The community paid his tributes to Vientiane but also entertained relations with Bangkok and Champasak. When Prince Anou Vientiane declares war on Siam in the early nineteenth century, the governor of Chaiyaphum, Jao Phraya Lae, although wisely Laotian it sides with Bangkok, knowing that Anou had no chance against the more powerful army Siamese. Although Phraya Lae have lost their lives in battle in 1806, the Siamese sacked Vientiane in 1828 and ruled much of the western part of Laos until the arrival of the French in the late nineteenth century. Thai people decided to change the name of Jao Phraya Lae into Phraya Phakdi Chumpol.
Today, the province is divided into 16 districts, amphoe, further underdivided in 124 sub-districts, tambon, and 1393 villages, muban. The 16 districts
are: Chaiyaphum, Bamnet Narong, Khwao Ban, Ban Thaen, Chatturat, Kaeng KHRO, Kaset Sombun, Khon San, Khon Sawan, Noen Sa-nga, Nong Bua Daeng, Nong Bua
Rawe, Phakdi Chumphon, Phu Khiao, Wis Yai, Thep Sathit.
The majority of the population in Chaiyaphum is lao, the more language spoken in the area is Isaan, a dialect of the Lao language. The products include rice, tapioca, sugar cane and taro roots. Regarding the cooking is to remember Mam, Som Wua, fish patties and wieners Isaan. Chaiyaphum is a center for the silk industry, in particular the quality calls Mudmee, for cottons and khit, for the triangular pillows and other products subject to weaving, for jobs that relate to weave wicker.
The symbol of the province shows a triangular flag, a symbol of victory in war. The provincial trees are Senna Siamese, Cassia Siamea, the flower tulip
Siamese, Curcuma alismatifolia. The motto of this province is “city enchanted home to heroes, mountain peaks, forest elephants, waterfalls, beautiful silk,
lovely women, conscientious Buddhists.
Chaiyaphum is one of the centers for the musical style called Mor lam.
Phu Laen Kha National Park
● The statue Phraya Phakdi Chumpol is located near the roundabout leading into the city, honoring the founder of Chaiyaphum and was built with voluntary donations of the local population in 1975.
● San Chao Pho Phrayalae a sanctuary not far from the city center erected in honor of the founder, is named after the title given to Phraya Phakdi Chumpol inside a statue of him. The sanctuary was erected in the place where it is thought he was killed by Laotian invaders. Each year, beginning with the first Wednesday of May, during the sixth lunar month and before the Visakha Puja celebrations lasting one week are held in his honor. During these festivals are also held propitiatory sacrifices through a Phi Fa dance in honor of the spirit.
● La statua a Phraya Pakdi Chumpol si trova vicino alla rotonda che porta in citta’, rende onore al fondatore di Chaiyaphum e fu costruita con donazioni volontarie della popolazione locale nel 1975. ● San Chao Pho Phrayalae e’ un santuario non lontano dal centro della citta eretto in onore del fondatore, prende il nome dal titolo attribuito a Phraya Phakdi Chumpol, all’interno una statua di lui. Il santuario e’ stato eretto nel luogo in cui si pensa lui sia stato ucciso da invasori laotiani. Ogni anno cominciando dal primo mercoledi’ di maggio, durante il sesto mese lunare e prima del Visakha Puja feste della durata di una settimana si tengono in suo onore. Durante queste feste si svolgono anche sacrifici propiziatori attraverso una danza Phi Fa in onore dello spirito.
● Tat Ton National Park. Just 20 km away. From the city along the highway Chaiyaphum-Kaset Sombun. It is a place with beautiful scenery, excellent for relaxing or picnicking that occupies 218 sq. km. in a corner of the mountains in the chain of Laen. From these mountains begin in the province of Prachin Buri, passing through the Khao Yai and Chaiyaphum towards Loei. The park is located in a dry area that has rather high temperatures. Tat Ton is known for its magnificent waterfalls Tat Ton, Klang and Pha Tat Phiang. The condition of the forest is perfect, much of the vegetation of the park consists of dried plants dipterocarp, and the rest are evergreen dry. Much of the park's animal population remains hidden but deer, wild pigs, mongooses and hares Siamese are quite common. These are the attractions of the park:
Waterfall (Namtok) Tat Ton
. It is a beautiful waterfall near the office of the national park, with water flowing throughout the year. The falls Tat Ton are the widest, reaching 50
meters during the monsoon season from May to October.
● Sanctuary Chaopho Tat Ton (Pu Duang) Pu Duang was a Khmer who lived in the same period of Chao Pho Phrayalae, he lived a humble life as an ascetic lay meditating and carefully following the dharma. He had the knowledge and the ability to heal people with herbs and therefore it was highly respected.
● Namtok Tat Fa it is a stone terrace with a width of 15-20 meters, a length of 80-90 meters and a slope of about 30 degrees.
● Namtok Pha Iang. It is a medium-sized waterfall created by the Chi Long Stream. It is a cliff jutting into the river by moving the water from one side.
● Namtok Pha Song Chan. The cascade over the waterfall Pha Iang. It has two villi of precipices with an approximate height of 5 meters.
● Namtok Phanit. It is a waterfall at 1 km. from Namtok Pha Lang and his characteristic is similar to the latter.
● Wat Phu Phra Phutthabat Faet. It is a small lift with a footprint of Buddha in stone similar to that of Saraburi.
● Wat Sa Hong. This temple is situated on a rock raised. This natural rock has the shape of a swan. Behind the building of the temple is an old well with a width of approximately 10 meters of water throughout the year.
● Wat Sila a Phu Phra. Inside the temple this rock forms a shelter, under which they were housed, embossed images of Buddha, hence the name Phu Phra.
● Prang Ku is 'one of the most' ancient religious structures in Chaiyaphum. Built in sandstone, with a plan
characteristic of Arogayasala, a nursing home, dating back to the period of Jayavarman VII (1181-1219), the last king of Angkor. Moreover, will pray as a
place of health station along the route connecting two points on temple Angkor Wat in Cambodia and the Prasat Singh in Kanchanaburi province. The people of
Chaiyaphum consider this holy place and make daily offerings of flowers, candles and incense. The ku is home of a Buddha of the Dvaravati period and that
is too much revered by the locals. Bathrooms propitiatory are held here every year on the full moon day in April, the fifth lunar month.
● Bai Sema Ban Kut Ngong. Are boundary stones in Dvaravati style, dating from about the seventh and eighth centuries that have been discovered near the village. Many are large with bas-relief in front, others have also inscriptions behind.
Laen Phu Kha National Park. This area includes a complex chain of mountains with dense jungles and forests of timber that the watershed of streams that
flow into the river Chi.
● Pa Hin Ngam forest area in Amphoe Thep Sathit located 140 km. from Chaiyaphum. Large rocks with strange shapes are a bit all over the area. In the first rainy season from May to July Pa Hin Ngam is covered with wild flowers pink, in the cold season from December to January, yellow orchids grow in the cracks between the rocks and a large amount of wild flowers in bloom throughout the forest. The special and unique trees Chan Daeng (Dracaena loureiri Gagnep) characterize the area. There are campgrounds and other accommodations.
● Phu Khi. the most high-top national park, from here you can see magnificent views of Yuak Phu, Phu Taphao, the chain of Phu Khiao, the districts of Phu Kaset Sombun and Khiao.
● Phu Kaset. In addition 'the second highest', after Phu Khi. Normally it is cold and dry because of deforestation and shifting cultivation they leave behind abandoned and empty on the slopes of the mountains.
● Field Dok Krachiao in Pa Hin Ngam Thung Chang Khlong. It is a deciduous forest dipterocarp, where bulbs Krachiao - turmeric with inflorescences pink and whites grow rocky terrain together with various other plants. There is also a large rock with the shape similar to that of an elephant.
● Mo Hin Khao. They are distributed irregularly strange rocks of various shapes similar to mushrooms, elephants, boats, turtles and chedi on a plateau.
In addition, there are large stones arranged in columns similar to the line.
● Point of Lan Hin Rong Kla. It is a large stone plateau with various deep cracks and chasms. It is about 700-800 meters above sea level.
● Viewpoint of Pa Hin Prasat. It is located on a large rock similar to a prasat and it is a great place to enjoy nature.
● Phae Pha. a stone cliff occurred from the lifting of stone layers and the movement of ores. Therefore, the colors of the ores pigments are obviously different.
● Pratu Khlong (Arco Naturale Stone). It is a large stone shaped like a portal, in the surrounding area there are many stones in bizarre shapes alternated by forest deciduous dipterocarp
● Pha Kluaimai or Precipice of Orchids - high precipices of different heights, which extend horizontally, connected to one another. There are different types of orchids that grow along the cliffs.
● Tham Phra and Tham Kluea. They are white sandstone caves created by water erosion running through the cracks of the stone for a long period, causing chemical reactions and the alteration and natural change of the sandstone layers and causing large holes.
● Namtok Tat Ton Noi. a waterfall created by the confluence of large and small rivers that originate in the mountain range of Phu Kaset.
● Khao Khat and the Chi River. It is a natural feature of this mountain range created by subsidence and uplift of the mountain ranges of the Laen Phu Kha and Phang Hoei, who have created a passage through the mountains and created many legends, passed on from generation to generation for a long time.
● Pha Koen a high cliff on the top of the mountain Lanka, about 45 km. from Chaiyaphum. A religious theme park nearby contains an image of Buddha 7 meters high. The name in Isan dialect means "Ravine of the moon."
● Ban Khwan is located about 13 km. from Chaiyaphum, on Highway 225 The village and 'famous for the high quality' and the elaborate design of the hand-woven silk, particularly silk Mudmee. If you want to just unnecessary silk make the trip the same silk that you will find here can be found in the shops of Chaiyaphum or the municipal market, if you are interested in the process of manufacturing silk and another thing, you'll inevitably go here . However, getting to this village, is easy, buses leave from the bus station every 20 minutes from 06:00 to 18:00.
● Ku Daeng. They are the ancient Khmer ruins. At present, the ruins only count a square base made of laterite, with the withdrawing corners and stairways on all four sides. From the design of lintels, these ruins have been traced in XI century Baphuon art.
Nam Tok Sai Thong National Park - reach away for about 60 km. from the city along the Chaiyaphum- Nakhon Sawan, turning to the right and continue for another seven miles. Here originate many rivers, streams that are tributaries of the River Chi, the Park has forests, and deciduous plants dipterocarps combined with dry mixed deciduous forests.
The main attractions:
● Nam Tok Sai Thong, rented about a mile from the park headquarters. In front of the waterfall, you can swim, called Wang Sai in a large basin. Even above the waterfall, there is a deep body of water called Wang Ngueak where the water flows along the winding and steep stone plateau towards Namtok Sai Thong for a distance of 150 meters.
● Namtok Chuan Chom this waterfall along a path, two kilometers, which is useful for studying the nature above Namtok Sai Thong. The waterfall and is 20 meters high and surrounded by many trees.
● Thung Bua Sawan or Thung Dok Krachiao, from late June to the goal of August turmeric or Krachiao flourish in this field of pink and white coloring. Getting here requires a trek and a night of rest.
● Pha Pho Mueang, a precipice on the west side of the mountain Phang Hoei along the route that leads to the field Bua Sawan, a total distance of about 3 miles and a climb of 700 to 908 meters above sea level.
● Point of Pha Ham Hot, on top of the mountains of Phang Hoei, 864 meters above the sea level. It is cold throughout the year.
● Tham Kaeo, the cave like a room, located deeply inside the mountain fresh and moist throughout the year. From the entrance, there is a path that leads to a low level housed, a statue of Buddha.
● Viewpoint Khao Phang Hoei, a resting area and a place of gathering for scooters. Along the way, you will find various shops offering local products. The sunset view from this place is unforgettable.
● Bueng Waeng a swamp in front of Khon Sawan District Office, covering an area of approximately 350 rai and comprises all feel that revolves around the swamp. When night falls, teal, a species of ducks flying in a group covering the sky and creating a beautiful contrast of colors between the flock and the sunset.
● The large image of Buddha of the Dvaravati period. It is an image of Buddha in the standing position.
● Center topiary Ban Khae take the highway 201, 76 km. from Chaiyaphum and 1 km. before the district Phu Khaio.
● Wat Phra That Nong Sam Mun, eight kilometers from Phu amphoe Kieo, is an old religious place that they think built in the seventeenth century. It is been restored and renovated and among the attractions include a large reclining Buddha sculptures in plaster that represent legends of heaven and hell, and also describe the popular literary work Sang Thong. Phrathat Nong Sam Muen is a beautiful and perfect ‘chedi’ with corners withdrawing placed on a square base has a height of 45.30 meters and stairs on all four sides.
● Do not Salao khit Cloth Weaving Village, the greatest center of the province for khit cloth. To the local weaving process and khit was handed down by their ancestors. Almost every house has its own special fabric made by hand.
● Diga (Dam) Chulabhorn / Dam Nam Phrom is a dam with a clay core full of stones and pebbles it is in Amphoe Khon San. The reserve of water like a lake offers magnificent scenery. It was built to generate electricity and to irrigate fields during dry season. Bungalows can be booked by calling a Bangkok office of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT).
The things in the area of the dam Chulabhorn are the following:
● Copying of Phra Phutthasiri Sakkharat (Luangpho Chet Kasat) is a venerated image of buddha which is located on the left side of the dam opposite Chulabhorn Dam's Park.
● Chulabhorn Dam Park an area approximately 41 rai with various types of plants. The path through the park are paved with
● The old plants of 325 million years, all belong to the same categories of herbs, including the two main species called Son Sam Roi Yot (Lycopodium) and Son Hang Ma or Ya Thot Plong (Horsetail or Equisetum).
● Point of Lup Khuan 800 meters tall and has a beautiful view of the surrounding area.
● Phu Khiao Wildlife Reserve serves to preserve, nurture and disseminate animal life such as peacocks and various kinds of deer. They are left in the natural environment where they are able to live and reproduce. Interesting destinations within the reserve area.
● Thung Kramang, a large lawn area located in the middle of the reserve, and an important source of food for herbivores. On the hill above Thung Kramang there is a royal residence overlooking the reserve.
● Phrom River, its east lies Huai Dat or Lam Dok, the main brook of which have been moved to the waters to direct them in the lower part of Chulabhorn Dam, built to produce electricity. He also directs the flow into the Lam Su Brook, which has water all year round. Above the Phrom River is located Lan Chan, a rocky terrace with a swimming pool in the middle. All around a serene and shady atmosphere.
● Lan Chan and Tat Hin Daeng, Lan Chan a large rock terrace along the Phrom River. It is a shady area full of great types of large and small plants, and surrounded by evergreen forests with moss, fern, rattan, betel-vine and various kinds of medicinal plants that grow here.
● Bueng Paen, is a grass similar to Thung Kamang, but that is on a more down and then gets flooded during the rainy season. In the dry season, there is a swamp in the middle of the plain.
● Namtok Tat Khro , a large and high waterfall in the south of Thung Kramang, near the Phu Khiao Forest Safeguard Centre in Nong Bua Daeng district. The waterfall is located on the river Saphung.
● Namtok Huai Wai , a cascade in three levels with each level is 20 m high. Flows over the mountains and in the position of the step between Khao Phu Noi and Khao Phu Yai Khiao.
● Namtok Nakkharat, the width of this waterfall is about 5 meters with three floors of different heights. Near the waterfall is plenty of Phaya Nakkharat, a type of fern, and it is named from the waterfall.
● Pha Thewada, the rocks of this cliff are white like limestone. And the source of the river Chi, which has a diameter of 10-15 runs to the south of the mountain and goes to take in the river Chi Yai, near Ban Lon.
● Phu Khing is the top of the mountain khao Khiao, an altitude of 1,167 meters above sea level. It is considered the 5th
summit of the Northeast and is located in Phu Khiao Wildlife Reserve.
● Phu Khiao Wildlife Breeding Research Station, there are many types of wildlife to see particularly sambar deer and brown-antlered deer.
Pa Hin Ngam National Park, you can see different kinds of wild flowers species Dusita, En An and orchids, the fauna includes more than 52 kinds of birds, 25 mammals and 10 reptiles.
Attractions of the park are:
● Lan Hin Ngam, was caused by the erosion of soil and rock, mold the rocks in different shapes, animals or objects, such
as nails, radar, hens, etc.
● Field Dok Krachiao or Bua Sawan, a type of turmeric plant and an annual plant similar to ginger-galingale that generally grows from Lan Hin Ngam to the viewpoint of Sut Phaendin.
● Sut Phaendin a high precipice and the higher vantage point of the mountains of Phang Hoei. It is two kilometers from
the office of the National Park at an altitude of 864 meters above sea level. A cliff connects the central regions to those in the Northeast.
● Namtok Thep Phana, a medium-sized waterfall originates from the flow of the river Huai Krachon between the mountains of the mountains of Phang Hoei. It is divided into three different levels and has water only in the rainy season.
● Namtok Thep Prathan is situated in Ban Rai sub district, 7 kilometers from the office of the national park. It is a cascade of mid-level but flat. There are different low levels of large rock terraces and a steep highland and with a large amount of water during the rainy season.
● Phra Phutthabat Khao Yai Hom, an impression of the left foot of Buddha printed on a rock terrace with a width of 75 cm. A length and a depth of 180' of 45, surrounded by three sacred ponds.
Ban Kai o Ban Khai Mun Phaeo
is located 12 km. from the provincial town, an Elephant Village of Chaiyaphum, the main occupation of the inhabitants is to capture wild elephants. Having
become home to numerous elephants Chaiyaphum holding a gathering of these animals every year in the month of January.
Feasts and festivals.
Phraya Lae Festival
, held 12 to 20 January of each year in front of the town of Chaiyaphum and at the intersection where there is a monument
of Phraya Lae Chaopho.
Religious ceremony in honor of Chaopho Phraya Lae , held at the Nong Pla Thao Shrine every year on the first Monday of May, lasts three days and three nights. The inhabitants pay homage to the spirit of Chaopho Phraya Lae, there are a daze in front of the ancient sanctuary. Stand products gastronimic local sports competitions, parades with Bai He, complete the event. Feast of the candles, is organized by the Office of Chaiyaphum Municipal the full moon day of the lunar 8th of the month.
There is procession of candles similar to that which takes place in the province of Ubon Ratchathani.
Ram Phi Fa Tradition a ceremony of worship of certain sacred objects and an image of Buddha carved out of a sandstone rock called "Phrachao Ong Tue. Ceremony is organized twice a year, from 13th to 15th day of the waxing moon of the lunar month, in April, and the first day of the waning moon of the lunar month 3rd area of Khao Phu Phra, Ban Na Kai subdistrict of Sao and Na Siao in the province of Chaiyaphum. There are music and dances.
Bun Festival Duean a festival that takes place in Khon Sa and includes offerings for merits in the night of the black moon of the lunar month 4◦ races Saba and the first and third day of the waxing moon of the fifth lunar month, around in March. Moreover, the only race of Saba that takes place in the Northeast.
Feast for the blooming of the flowers (Dok) Krachiao, takes place between late June and early July during the rainy season when the bloom of flowers bselvaggi Krachiao, a purplish color pink at the peak. It takes place in an area called "Camp Dok Krachiao." During the festival, there are tours within the national park and local performances.